back to 'about clifford' page
|Historical documents of Clifford and Hardwicke
page will act as a repository of a growing body of digitised, non-copyrighted information, relating to the parishes of Clifford
from a map of Clifford from 1904, showing the route of the old railway,
the Clifford Castle Inn, the Post Office and various geographical
features such as an old quarry, a reservoir and old clay pits. Please click on the map for a larger version.
1929 farm survey record for Lower Court Farm contains the following
note from the surveyor: "In an outbuilding NE of house + on SW face,
near ground is a carved stone of pre-conquest date, possibly the lower
part of a shaft. The surface has interlaced pattern in low
As well as high-resolution copies
of the images on this page, three CDs containing a great deal
of information are freely available to interested parties from the
website manager, including:
survey records from 1929, for Priory Farm, Long House, Tan House,
Harewood Farm, Lower Middlewood, Lower Castleton Farm, Upper Court,
Lower Court and White House Farm
- Old photographs, including St Mary's Church, Newton Tump, and Lower Court (see photo, above).
- Farm survey records from 1942 for many more houses in the parish. Click here for sample record for Paddock Farm (2MB).
- An Ordnance Survey map of Clifford and Hardwicke (and several neighbouring parishes) dating from 1904.
|E-mail Dave, the website manager: cliffordparish(at)gmail.com [replace 'at' with @]